In the autumn of 1959 the US Government presented the problem of providing forward servicing facilities for the first SSBN Squadron in the UK. Studies were made of all the suitable places to base a refit facility and it was decided in July 1960 the Holy Loch should be the site. The Holy Loch was a Royal Navy Submarine base during World War II and the Firth of Clyde was one of the Royal Navy’s major submarine areas, Site One as the base was known, comprised of three major commands, plus the Naval Support Activity.

Picture
Picture
 





Leave a Reply.